There is a lot of heart and soul that goes into making the perfect pizza at home. Give yourself time, set up a nice atmosphere with a clean and organized workspace.
Ensure you have all the the necessary cookware and use only the freshest ingredients. Don’t forget to use fresh herbs from your herb garden if you have access to them. Also be sure your oven is nice and hot. This is often overlooked when making pizza at home. If you get your oven hot it will taste like it came from your favorite local pizzeria. If you do all of these things correctly you have the best chance of making the most delicious pizza at home.
The subtle tang of the tomato sauce, the perfect crust and so much more. Here is a recipe to get you started making your own home made masterpiece.
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water , 110 degrees, divided
3 Tbsp olive oil , plus more for brushing
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp white vinegar
3 1/2 – 4 cups bread flour
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp honey
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
2 tsp chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp dried thyme (or 3/4 tsp fresh)
1 clove garlic , finely minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
1. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine yeast, 2 tsp sugar and 1/2 cup warm water and whisk until yeast has dissolved. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Add in remaining 1 cup warm water, olive oil, salt and vinegar. Fit mixer with whisk attachment, set on low speed and slowly add in 1 3/4 cups of the flour and mix until combined.
2. Switch to a dough hook and slowly add in remaining 1 3/4 cups flour, then knead mixture on medium-low speed about 5 - 7 minutes, adding in up to an additional 1/2 cup flour as needed, until dough is smooth and elastic (dough should be slightly sticky but should not stick to a clean fingertip). Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
For Pizza Sauce
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Preferably let rest 30 minutes (while dough is rising) to allow flavors to meld.
To Build Your Pizza
1. Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees. While the oven preheats, assemble pizza. Punch down pizza dough (divide into two equal 16 oz portions, freeze one in a resealable bag for a later use or make 2 pizzas right away). Place a sheet of parchment paper over a pizza peel, then lightly dust parchment paper with flour. Pat/roll and stretch dough on pizza peel to a 13-inch round, while creating a crust along the edge of the dough.
2. Using a fork (without piercing all the way through) pierce dough many times over the surface. In a small bowl stir together 1 Tbsp olive oil with 1 clove garlic and brush evenly over top and edges of pizza, then evenly spread about 2/3 cup of the pizza sauce over pizza (leaving crust uncoated).
3. Top evenly with cheeses (again leaving crust uncoated)Carefully slide pizza (on parchment paper) to preheated pizza stone in oven and bake 12 - 15 minutes until crust is golden. Remove from the oven, sprinkle top with oregano and optional red pepper flakes. Cut into slices and serve.
4. Don't forget to save any leftover pizza slices in your PIE-POD!